 Robotics / 9316
Re: First Lego League Software (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 14:54:26 GMT

----- Forwarded message from Barbara Nostrand -----

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 22:19:48 -0600
From: Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@bradley.edu>
Subject: Re: First Lego League Software (fwd)

If you are seriously considering using other processors, then this unit
is far from being the only possibility.

[ Duh, what was your first clue? The reason that I suggest these folks is
  the machines are full featured (i.e. incl. video, serial, EIDE, RAM,
  etc.) for a very reasonable price. At one time last year they sold me
  a single unit 486DX40 unit for under $300. Linux was slapped on it and
  the Sun Linux parallel drivers were installed and it was up and running.
  Total time from delivery to an operating environment was about a week
  and the machine was sitting on the ethernet with an IP, had X-windows,
  and the parallel port was configured as a geek-port. Pretty damn
  impressive when one considers the price is only 50% over a RCX and about
  the same as a BASIC Stamp or a 68HC11 dev kit (if not lower cost). ]

Though, if one is using MSW Logo with it's current ser/par I/O capabilities
it makes the RCX a tad pointless. Instead of the RCX get a embedded ix86
system from EMJ Embedded Systems [1] or other PCMCIA PC vendors.

[ Nobody said it was the only choice. I personly use a NMI 8031 for my Lego.
  But if you're a beginner then one is probably going to be swammped learning
  hardware construction, electronics assembly, programming skills, etc. In
  addition these devices are complete ix86 machines that will run Windows or
  Linux so you can use them for other things as well. Try surfing the web or
  writting the dox for your robot on the RCX. ]

1) The Stamp microprocessors directly support programming in BASIC.
   Stamps are widely used in the Sumo Robot community.

[ And over-priced and under-resourced. The NMI 8031 kit for $39 supports
  Tiny C, Forth, and Assembly out of the box. Solder a $3 power connector,
  connect the serial cable (you can build or buy it since it uses a 8-pin
  IDE style connector) and give it 1.5A of 5V DC and you're up and running.
  In addition there is a whole host of plug-on expansion boards that are
  industry standard. ]

2) The 68HC11 series processors (usually in their Handyboard configuration
   but others are also available) is widely used by university robot
   builders.

[ They're ok if you already know what you're doing and don't mind paying
  out the wazooh for reasonable development software and the high price.
  In addition, if you're talking robots versus controlling an elevator
  then you should consider a 683xx kit instead of these toy 8-bit
  machines. The problem there is price. ]

The BIG advantage of the RCX is the way that it is self-contained and
is set up to connect directly with the Technic components without having
to hack things. After watching a pair of reasonably bright university
level c.s. students slave away at trying to assemble a HC11 board and
make a rug-rat robot (there are several vendors for the rugrat) work,
trying to hack searvos, &c., I am much more inclined to trying out the
very self contained LEGO system.

[ I've been building robots since 1970, worked in a science museum for
  7 years sponsoring their robot and electronics group for 12 and up,
  sponsored The Robot Group when it first started, was an origonal
  participant in Robot Wars (I helped design the origonal rules), was a
  participant with the Toronoto PC VR SIG, participated in the NASA Diasar
  Lunar Rover Project, one SRL show, 5 of the 7 RoboFests, and have helped
  build in the neighborhood of 30 custom non-Lego robots. I see one
  over-riding factor for beginners, the teachers who support them generaly
  don't know much more than the students and the projects are overly ambitious.
  Further, CS students don't have the hardware or mechanics background that is
  required, they've got a pretty steep learning curve to climb. I've never
  understood why college professors (who should know better) think you can
  learn to do hardware in a couple of afternoons. The problem with Lego (and
  I've been a user of Lego Technics since '86 for robots) is that it is limited
  for doing 'real world' robotics, the Lego's simply won't take physical abuse
  nor will they support realistic payloads. A simple test is take your Lego
  robot and turn it loose in the middle of the street and see how long it
  takes before parts start falling off. ]

(If I were integrating LEGO robots in a Digital Systems course or a
Computer Organization course, then I would probably use one of the
HC11 boards and try hacking the LEGO electric strips.)

[ If they knew nothing about robots, hardware, software, or programing
  then I'd pick something a lot more supportive of absolute beginners. A
  more ideal system would be a small laptop with a umbilical or else a
  more powerful PCMCIA style computer so they could work in a very high
  level environment and not get bogged. Idealy the first thing a new
  robot builder should do is spend six months learning electronics and
  another six months learning mechanics. Then spend six months learning
  programming. I'd also 'payload' or 'modularize' the project. Things
  like motor, battery, or sensor assemblies would be pre-assembled. Only
  then would I turn them loose on anything more complicated than a
  bounce-and-twirl robot. At no point should they touch a soldering iron. ]

----- End of forwarded message from Barbara Nostrand -----

Merry Christmas.

           The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full
           of passionate intensity.

                                               W.B. Yeats

       The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
       www.ssz.com            .',  ||||    `/( e\      512-451-7087