 Robotics / 8772
Re: Lego trains and the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 20:49:42 GMT

--- "Avery, Amos E." <Amos.E.Avery@disney.com> wrote:
Has anyone tried running their 9v train set off of
the rcx?  I did it over
thanksgiving with limited success.  At full power
out of the rcx, the train
moved only about 1/2 speed (rcx 1.0 plugged into the
lego train's ac
wallwart).  I haven't measured yet, but I'm guessing
that either the riostat
that runs the train provides a few more volts output
at full speed or the
rcx limits the current to the output port.  Does
anyone know what the
electric 9v train motor draws at full speed and what
the rcx outputs are
capable of contributing.  I was hoping for lots of
interesting programmed
train layout fun, but I think I will need to work on
either a rcx controlled
relay system or else a mechanical device that
physically turns the train
riostat under rcx control before I get too excited.
Many thanks.

What's needed in this case, I think, is a relay
actuator or something similar. Basically, what you're
looking at is a two-wire wire brick, one (the trigger
wire) that goes to the RCX and operates a switch or
"gate" and another (the supply wire) that feeds
directly out of another power pack. Easiest way to do
this: a power transistor (or an SCR if you don't care
about speed regulation) wired into a brick. The
transistor is controlled off of the RCX's output, and
you most likely wind up using substantially less RCX
power in the process, since you're using it only for
the signal, not the voltage.

See what discussions about introductory electronics
textbooks get you? Here I am, showing off after buying
the damn Mims book...

/Brian

=====