 Robotics / 8584
Re: PC <> RCX Communication?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 21:46:32 GMT

Philippe jadin <philippe.jadin@skynet.be> wrote in message
Have a look at my page : http://users.swing.be/philippe.jadin/mylego.htm
I've buit a scanner with bidirectionnal control. Client (RCX) software • written
with NQC, 'server' (master=pc) soft written in borland delphi 3.0. But you • can
do the same with VB. It does quite exactly wath you want. This scanner • features
also realtime display of scanned pictures.

That sounds exactly like what I have done here, although I have mounted the
'gantry' on a large base. At the moment the scanner is controlled 'live'
from within VB, so the timings are not as good as they could be. However the
motors are geared down a *huge* amount, so much so that 5 seconds of motion
just moves the gantry or head half a stud. The best timing interval I can
get out of it is .15 sec.

The best I have gotten out of it is a 1600x2400 image of an A4 page, after
tweaking to compensate for the 'dead time' of the gears the picture quality
is very good. The drawback is that the A4 page at that resolution took 6
hours to scan :o)

Feel free to send me any comments, or to use my code... This one is far • from
perfect and could be adapted to vb...

Thanks for the pointers. If I manage to get some onboard software to do the
movement I will be able to get a much higher resolution (even if I have to
wait a week for a scan to finish).

I will put up some pictures of the 'bot and scans soon.

Good luck !

Phil

Kornel Lambert (Email: kornel@black-hole.co.uk) (Mobile: 0780 885 3178)
               (Phone: 0181 408 0796) (PGP Key: www.kornel.com/pgp.asc)