 Robotics / 8531
Re: Scout vs. RIS 1.5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:09:34 GMT

From: "mlindsay" <mlindsay@linlink.com>
I was favoring the Scout until Jack mentioned the RIS has more input and
output ports than the RIS.  Does the need for more input/output ports out
weight the need or use of the added new features with the Scout:
- advanced multitasking
- subroutine calls
- local & global variables
- VLL
(to name a few)

What exactly is the Scout's 2+1 by 2+1 format for input/output mean
anyway?

I think that http://www.legomindstorms.com/products/rds/hackers.asp
describes 2+1 vs 3 rather well.  The +1 input is a light sensor.  The +1
output is a red LED (how exciting).  I prefer the 3 inputs of the RCX
because they can use any sensor.

The Scout also has the downside of not supporting active sensors.  That
means no external light sensor, rotation sensor, or many of the cool project
sensors that others are making.

After reading the webpage above I would still get the RCX over the Scout.
Some of the new features of the Scout are cool, but they seem to hint that a
new version of the RCX will have the same features.

The RCX has a lot more user memory available for programs and data then the
Scout.

alex