 Robotics / 8533
Re: Scout vs. RIS 1.5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:33:40 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mark Lindsay writes:
I was favoring the Scout until Jack mentioned the RIS has more input and
output ports than the RIS.  Does the need for more input/output ports out
weight the need or use of the added new features with the Scout:
- advanced multitasking
- subroutine calls
- local & global variables
- VLL
(to name a few)

I do not have the Scout, and have been reading its SDK document in order to
decide whether I should get one.

The new features in Scout's firmware are nice, but not essential. If you
really need these features with your RCX, you can use an alternative firmware
like legOS.

VLL is nice. However, the devices you can talk to using VLL, i.e., the Code-
pilot and the Micro Scout, are quite limited. Basically, VLL only buys you an
additional output, while with RCX, you already get three outputs built in.

I think the only major advantage of the Scout over RCX is that you can enjoy
programming the Scout without a PC, and later, with a PC and the SDK, you can
still get the near-RCX (but not quite) capability out of it.

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang