 Robotics / 8388
RE: Window CE Support for the Mindstorm Unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:46:13 GMT

CE supports the IR port in a number of "modes". Natively there is: "Raw IR",
IrCOMM and IrSock. Using IrCOMM or IrSock programs the port to conform the
the IrDA standard for communications. The difference being IrSock is through
the WinSock interface. Raw IR mode is supposed to allow the normal
application of a serial port through the IR hardware. I have tried this mode
and have not been very successful in getting the RCX to notice me. More
work/info is needed here.

There is also the possibility of implementing "Consumer IR" through the CE
IR port, however, you will need a special driver and some programming info
for that driver. Such a driver exists in SkyCommander
(http://web.singnet.com.sg/~ohmania/SkyCommander/SkyCommander.html), but the
vendor provides no API info on its use (cir2xx.dll). This may be the
solution -- don't know.

So far I've had no problems running the RCX IR tower from my CE device using
NQC (more on that later).

/ted