 Robotics / 8387
Re: Move the processing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:42:17 GMT

Hi Christian,

I've done that for the Cybremaster (check out my website for examples), the
same can be done for the Mindstorm.

CU  Bert

Lego robots and artificial intelligence www.bvandam.net

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Christian Jacobsen <xtian@net-collect.com>
Aan: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Datum: vrijdag 19 november 1999 18:17
Onderwerp: Move the processing?

OK, another newbie question before I get my MindStorms this weekend. • (Thanks
for the tip, Janos!)

There is a lot of talk on this list about what can and can not be done in
the RCX... memory stacks, neural nets, and what have you...

There has also been talk about legOS and other approaches to completely
removing the LEGO firmware(?) and replacing it with another.

My question is: Is it possible to create a communications link between a
desktop PC (which is better at computing than the RCX) and the RCX (which • is
more mobile than the PC) so that the "heavy" software runs on the PC, and
sends just the resulting commands to the RCX?

Is the speed of the connection fast enough to do this, realistically?  (I
don't want any 2 minute delay between input and action like the Mars
Rover...)

Can the RCX firmware just be a simple mechanism that receives commands,
executes, and responds?

I'm just trying to think "outside the (RCX) box"...
- Christian