 Robotics / 8210
RE: **** the Scout ****
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:34:39 GMT

The Scout will work with the standard light sensor.

The Scout inputs float at 5 volts (presumably an internal pull up
resistor), and when a touch sensor is depressed, drop to about 0.30
volts....pretty standard sinking input logic.  With the light sensor
attached, the voltage drops to about 2.5v (and the led is barely lit) and
about the same when the light sensor detects.  I don't know how long the
input will be happy with a light sensor attached, the current sourcing from
a input like this has to be small.

What's interesting (and beyond my electronics knowledge) is if you try to
measure the resistance of the input, with the light sensor attached, you
can trigger the input with the DVM.

I suspect there is more to the Scout sensors to be discovered.

Jeff
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net

Dave Baum wrote:

<snip>
I/O:  The RCX has 3 inputs / 3 outputs and can use active as well as
passive sensors for input (touch, temperature, light, rotation, plus
custom ones).  The Scout has two inputs plus a built-in light sensor.  The
inputs are passive only (touch and temperature).  The Scout also has two
outputs.  From a flexibility standpoint, the RCX wins here - more I/O,
more flexibility for sensors.
<snip>