 Robotics / 8053
Re: building a maze
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 22:10:13 GMT

It sounds like you want a maze that you can build on any given floor, such that
the floor itself forms the floor of the maze and all you actually supply is the
walls.

I would suggest buying some 2x4s (as we call them in the U.S.) -- the type of
wood that is used for the vertical load-bearing in a wooden house; about 2.5
meters long with a cross section about 4-cm by 9-cm.

Cut them into pieces corresponding to the wall-sections you want to have in
your maze. Every place where you want two sections to join, cut notches into
the ends of the two sections, so that you can fit the two pieces of wood
together, one with its notch facing up and the other with its notch facing
down, and they will fit into each other. They will have to overlap a bit, so
you will need to add that extra length when you cut the sections. If the
dimensions of the notch are cut just right, the two pieces will fit snugly and
help keep the overall shape of the maze.

Such construction can be assembled and disassembled with no tools, and has no
big parts to carry around. It even allows for some alteration of the maze
layout, particularly if you cut extra notches in various places.

If you discover that (for whatever reason) the joints aren't quite rigid
enough, you could strengthen joints by laying a small square of wood or metal
flat over a joint (so it is perpendicular to both of the wall pieces) and
running screws through it into the two wall pieces.

- Robert Munafo                              www.mrob.com

In lugnet.robotics, Vlad Dumitrescu writes:
Hi all!

I am not sure this is the best forum for my question, but I hope you will have
patience! :-)

I am building a maze-walker and it is quite large... Does anyone have any
constructive ideas on how to build the maze itself, so that it is light but
sturdy?

Because of the size (at least 1 square meter) I think it should be possible to
disassemble it easily...