 Robotics / 7971
Re: New info and SDK for the Scout!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 13:47:36 GMT

Although the Scout is supposed to offer more feaures than the RCX, it seems
to me that the RCX is still a better deal.

Scout memory available for programs: 400 bytes
RCX: 6100 bytes.

Scout variables: 8 locals for each of 6 possible tasks and 10 globals = 58
variables. And you have to spread them out just right among your tasks.
RCX: 256 global variables.

Scout: 2 motor outputs
RCX: 3

Scout: 2 inputs; passive sensors only. Plus the built-in light sensor
(built-in makes it harder to place the light sensor where you want in your
bot)
RCX: 3 inputs; passive or active.

I would think that the software features, such as calling subroutines in the
ROM, multitasking priorities, etc.  can be added to the RCX with a change to
firmware. Maybe Lego will give advanced users a different firmware option
which we could download to offer Scout-type software features.

Mike