 Robotics / 7758
7757  |  7759
Subject:
RIS 1.5 vs RIS 1.0 software reviewed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 06:53:21 GMT

NQC users can skip this... :-)

I ran the 1.0 and 1.5 software on two computers next two each other.

Looking at the system requirements gives you some hints:
1.0: 8-bit VGA (640x480)
1.5: 16-bit SVGA (800x600)

I skipped the tutorial and went straight to the programming area:

First, 1.5 doesn't complain anymore if you are using more than 256 colors.
But the best thing is that the RCX programming screen uses the full
resolution of the screen, not just a tiny 640x480 area like 1.0! This alone
could be worth the $25 upgrade price for people that use the Mindstorms
software.

There are two new tools: The copy tool, and the try out tool. The copy tool
makes a copy of a stack from the selection down. The try-out tool lets you
pick a block of code, and execute it immediately in the RCX. If you click on
a sensor watcher, it shows the current sensor value. The Test Panel is
gone - the try-out tool is a much better replacement.

New commands: reset rotation.

The Program Vault has been redesigned, too. It is much faster to get in and
out of the Program Vault. And you can have folders.

The manual also describes how to communicate with the Scout. The IR commands
that you can send to the Scout are listed, and a sample program is included.

The rest of the RIS 1.5 changes has already been discussed on this list. The
Constructopedia is a lot more detailed, with a wider variety of robot ideas.

Tilman