 Robotics / 7615
Re: Need Balls!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 01:47:25 GMT

Didn't the FLL organizers foresee the need for balls?

You get 5 balls with the FLL extension set, but the contest uses up to 30
per team, and we are trying to simulate a contest.  Of particular interest
is whether the bins will get full and start overflowing.

The balls are about 1.5 inches in diameter, and are soft foam, very
Nerf-like.

Have you guys considered using ping pong balls instead?  Very close in
size to the original robo sport balls I would think. Uniform and
easily obtainable.  Somewhat heavier I think.

No, hadn't.  And color is probably not an issue.  Let's see, I think have I
a ping pong ball kicking around here...
Yes!  Halex Ultra 3 (I was a pro ponger).  Hmm.  Size is almost EXACTLY the
same.  Certainly good for overflow testing.  Weight -- whoa!  Almost exactly
the same.  Very, very cool.

I love the net!  Had it right here all the time.

Thanks for lending some neurons!

--Jack Gregory