 Robotics / 7614
Re: NELUG at Mindfest update (Good News on our Table Space!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 01:38:14 GMT

Hello Eric...

Expect to be VERY busy.

I speak from experience.  I just showed off my LEGO collection at
Calgary's Woodworking & Hobby show on Canada's Thanksgiving weekend.
Show attendance was 8 to 10,000, and I swear everyone stopped by to
play with my LEGO.

My main intention for showing LEGO and LEGO Mindstorms was to get in
touch with other robot and train builders.  I'm hoping to form a LEGO
group.

I was showing all my Star Wars sets.  These have universal appeal for
both the kids and adults.  One LEGO train (my first) that I let the
kids run.  It is amazing how fast that goes without falling off.  I
had my larger Technic sets there for the wow factor.  The Pneumatic
Front End Loader is a big hit and real fun to operate.

I did allow everyone to play with my LEGO on display under pretty good
scrutiny.  Parents were very good.  No minifigs went missing; I
figured a few might, so I was pleasantly surprised.  Only one kid
caught putting the LEGO Technic compressor in his pocket; he ran away
embarrassed. No models dropped or broken.

Let them play with it, or some of it if you can.  After all, this is
LEGO.

I had a handout of the very best LEGO sites.  The best of the best
LEGO models out there on the net.  We also had a little LEGO raffle
for a Star Wars X-Wing (which was chosen by the winner) or Res-Q set.

The booth honors went to the three super cars I had on display at the
front.  An older 8865 Test Car, the 8880 Super Car and my 8448 Super
Street Sensation motorized with the RCX for the LEGO Road Racing
competition I hope to organize.

These three models were big hits with the kids, but especially the
adults.

So few people have any idea that LEGO builds sets like these.  There
was a great deal of interest.  I'm sure Sears Canada (the only store
selling the 8448 as far as I can tell) will sell quite a few over
Christmas.

So LEGO was a huge success at the hobby show.  I hope to do it again
in the spring at the even bigger Model Railroad & Hobby show here in
Calgary.

I wish I could attend Mind Fest.  I read all the pages about it.
Looks like it will be plenty of fun, as well as interesting.  I hope
you guys get a chance to see COG in action, and anything else
interesting that MIT is doing with robotics.

It should be a great show for you and all those attending.

I wish I was going to MindFest.  Boston is a very interesting city.
Have fun.  I hope we see lots of pics.

<ICS>