 Robotics / 7417
Re: Help me plan for Mindfest.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:31:45 GMT

Welcome to Boston!!!

In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Michael Gasperi writes:
Hi;
I am putting my plans together for my visit to Mindfest and I'd like to get
a few pieces of advice from the locals:

My wife, 8 year old kid and I will be arriving about 7pm Thursday night at
Logan Airport.  We are staying at the Kendal Square Marriott Cambridge.  I
don't plan to have a rental car.
1.  How do you think we should get to the hotel?  cab, subway, etc.

The easiest (and cheapest) way in my opinion is to take the Subway (We call it
the "T" ).  It is very safe and easy to use as long as you don't have a problem
or fear of Subway's (Some, like my father do so I just thought I would mention
it) I take the "T" almost every day and I love it.

Here is the MBTA or "T" website.

http://www.mbta.com/

Also If you go here and click on Subway you can get a map of the "T".

http://www.mbta.com/schedules/index.html

To get to Kendal From the Airport just do the following...

1.  From Baggage Claim you need to go outside and find where the Shuttle busses
load and unload people.

2. Take the Shuttle bus that goes to the "T" station (This is Free).

3. The bus will drop you off at the Blue Line station and you will want to
travel on the inbound train towards "Bowdoin".  (You will pay 85 Cents per
person to board the train).

4. Get off the Blue Line at the "State Street" stop.

5. Here you need to change to the Orange Line for 1 stop.  You will take the
Orange Line towards "Forest Hills".

6. Get off the Orange Line at "Downtown Crossing" again this is only one stop
from "State Street".

7. You will now make you last change to the Red Line going towards "Alewife".

8. Take the Red Line to "Kendel Square", exit to the street and the Marriot is
just down the street.

This is actually very easy and everything is well marked.  Just pay attention
to your stops and don't rely on listening to the conductor you usually can't
make out what they are saying.

Things don't start at Minfest until 4pm Friday night, so I plan to tour
around with my family most of the day.
2. If you had one day to see Boston, what shouldn't we miss and how do you
get around?  museums, sites, trolleys, places to eat, etc.

Again the Subway is great to get where you are going.

Some things to see would be...

The Museum of Science
The Museum of Fine Arts
The Boston Aquarium
The USS Constitution Naval Tall Ship
The Freedom Trail
Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market (for Shopping)

There are also a bunch of trolley tours that run constantly.  One of the Best
is the "Duck Tours" That use old Military Amphibious vehicles and actually
Drive you around the city and then Drive right into the Charles River.

I'll be tied up with Mindfest most of Saturday and Sunday, but my wife and
kid will want to tour around Boston some of the time.
3. What other sites do you think they should see?

Things wrap up at Mindfest at about 4pm and our flight back leaves at about
7:30pm Sunday night.
4. How do you think we should get back to the airport?

Again the "T" would be your best bet.

Eric K.

Remove ".nospam" when replying by E-mail

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

Thats all for now.  Thanks for your help and I look forward to meeting many
of you at Mindfest.
Mike G.