 Robotics / 7369
Re: Lego Bots in Germany???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 07:39:14 GMT

"G. Benedikt Rochow" <rochogb@eng.auburn.removethis.edu> wrote:
With all of that under our belt I find it hard to understand why
germans would only have english in High School and no english in
public schools?

So they don't - the way they treat the english language indicated that
they not push it early in schools, or did not do that until fairly
recently.

Because they misuse the English word in a different way from
the way you misuse it. Speaking from a German background
"High School" starts in 5th grade, and there are three different
tracks, one of which one chooses before starting 5th grade (and
switching up or down one track later is not unusual).

High-School in Denmark is actually called Gymnasium, but that would
without explanation seem rather hilarious for the US readers of this
thread :-). So to avoid that notation I chose to use the US
equivalent, which I am fairly sure is also used in Australia.

Roughly, they are the blue-collar track which goes to either
9.5 or 10 grades (cannot remember)(prepares for craftsman apprenticeship),
the white-collar/limited-university track to 10th grade,
and the full-university preparatory track to 12 or 13 years.
There's also a mixed version, which stinks.

Well if kids can witch at any time I can see why a mixed version would
stink, if they would jump out to any of the 3 others they'd be bored
some of the times when classmates would fight their way through stuff
already familiar to a kid who went the mixed way for a while. Or were
you thinking of something else?

The high-track has you choose French or Latin as a 2nd foreign
language (which these days ends during 11th grade in some states
and goes longer in others); optionally, one can choose the
remaining of the two (or sometimes Spanish, maybe even Russian)
in 9th grade.

Well for 11th-13th grade you have Latin in two of them. Recently the
did a lot of changes in the "high-school" concept, there are of course
several other ways to get education for semesters above 9 or 10th
grade.
HF, (which is our high-school, slightly simpler in just 2 years)
Technical schools, which is one year common and then different
depending on sales and shop education, technical education like a
blacksmith, mechanic and so on.
And apprenticeship which does have some schooling involved.
I am sure there are some other small diversions.

Bottom line, the average recently-schooled German has 6-9 years
of English schooling. (which is not to say that there's not a big
gap between "Schulenglisch" and enough-to-live-on vocabulary :)

But the massive germanification of english and other foreign medias
would somehow be based on either ignorance in a major part of the
public not just the older generation. Or the fact that they endorse
german over any other language and put down other languages, typically
in Scandinavia we would alter the audio track on movies for kids, but
no other reason would come to mind. In germany I think only the large
adult audience would prompt the overdubs because of the amount of
adults to see the film with german voiceover. There are so many more
germans per dane, swede, finn, norwegian.... perhaps it is just
catering for the market, making more german adults go see a film if it
all appears german it is enjoyable for them no matter where the film
is from.
I can imagine that a smaller percentage of danes would see an
unoevrdubbed film from Hungary, as percentage of Germans would see it
with overdub. If the Hungarian film was overdubbed in Denmark I think
it would still not be interesting to see it for a dane, we would
favour an american/english movie with original soundtrack over a
hungarian movie with / without overdub.
You haven't experienced a movie in Germany until you've seen John
Wayne with a german voice. ;-)

-breiler