 Robotics / 6960
Re: IRPD revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:49:56 GMT

Pete Sevcik wrote:

Matthew,

I agree.  Depends on the speed of the robot.

It also depends on the construction of the robot itself.
The Lego Group's designs (in general) are usually pretty good at
staying together.  Some of their models can literally be bounced
off of a wall and do more damage to the wall than the model... and
I mean a thrown by a toddler kind of bounce.

Of course, structural bracing of this sort is an art form all
on its own.
-Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com, http://www.progeeks.com/)

If the bot is moving slow enough,
touch sensors are fine.  There are probably configurations with
long mechanical "feelers" that will work well at higher speeds.
From what I have seen, adults seem to focus on the control
algorithm, and are content with slower speeds.  Kids want something
that really zips.

    - pete.

Matthew Miller wrote:

Pete Sevcik <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
range adjustment from three inches to a foot.  Optical biasing can
increase the range up to three feet.  Pictures and schematic
on http://www.flash.net/~sevcik/IRprox.htm   Let me know what you

Very nice!

Although I think your statement about robots breaking apart when they hit a
wall is a bit over-dramatic. Lego creations stick together pretty well --
I've built a large number of robots with mechanical bump sensors.

That's not to say a proximity sensor isn't more cool, just that (as most
people here probably already know!) it's not as vital as you imply.

Pete Sevcik     sevcik@flash.net
Techno-stuff Robotics
http://www.flash.net/~sevcik/
Robotics for FUN !