 Robotics / 6947
  IRPD revisited

Hi All, Dennis Clark gave us a great design for a two channel infra-red proximity detector. It works well in a large number robot designs. I have just completed an IRPD with a slightly different design point. It is a single channel detector, housed (...) (25 years ago, 18-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: IRPD revisited

(...) Very nice! Although I think your statement about robots breaking apart when they hit a wall is a bit over-dramatic. Lego creations stick together pretty well -- I've built a large number of robots with mechanical bump sensors. That's not to (...) (25 years ago, 18-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: IRPD revisited

Matthew, I agree. Depends on the speed of the robot. If the bot is moving slow enough, touch sensors are fine. There are probably configurations with long mechanical "feelers" that will work well at higher speeds. From what I have seen, adults seem (...) (25 years ago, 19-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: IRPD revisited

(...) It also depends on the construction of the robot itself. The Lego Group's designs (in general) are usually pretty good at staying together. Some of their models can literally be bounced off of a wall and do more damage to the wall than the (...) (25 years ago, 20-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: IRPD revisited

(...) Correct. You need to learn how to build your touch sensors in a smarter way. The most intuitive way is to have a feeler arm that presses a button when it touches the wall. The problem with this design is that your feeler has a very short range (...) (25 years ago, 20-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)