 Robotics / 6862
RE: Unique Gear Part - what is it 2.5 /5.0 in Motor Kit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:02:04 GMT

It's a clutch gear. You can use it instead of a pair of pulleys with a
rubber band if you want to avoid stalling your motor if something jams.
Compared to the pulleys, it gives you a very well defined stall torque -
it's actually printed on the gear.

For example, I'm building a Merry-go-round right now. It's driven by a three
stage reduction gear box. That's a lot of torque at the output. If the
Merry-go-round gets blocked (easily possible with kids around), you get a
lot of stress on the gears. Plus the motor jams. I'm using this clutch gear
at the first reduction stage. Now if the Merry-go-round can't turn, the
clutch gear slips, limiting the stress on the drive train. I'm also putting
a rotation sensor on the output axle of the clutch gear, so I can actually
tell when that happens, and shut off the motor. A very sophisticated RCX
application :-)

Tilman