 Robotics / 6854
Re: Unique Gear Part - what is it 2.5 /5.0 in Motor Kit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 05:31:12 GMT

=>From: "Matt Silver" <silverm@tech-center.com>
=>...
=>What is the gear marked 2.5 /5.0 that comes with the Motor kit ?
=>The gear looks lie a 24 tooth, but is white and a bit thicker, and has a
=>grey hub inside that turns.

I've heard it called the "clutch gear."

=>As far as I can tell, the point is if the gear jams/binds or the object trys
=>pushing a wall, the inner hub will still turn, thus reducing the chance of
=>burning out a motor.
=>
=>Is there more to it that this ?

Not as far as I know, but then, I'm not a Lego(r) fanatic.  (OTOH,
isn't that enough?  It *is* a pretty useful function, unless your
drive train is so heavy that the torque you can get through the
clutch can't get it started.)

d.