 Robotics / 6852
  Unique Gear Part - what is it 2.5 /5.0 in Motor Kit

What is the gear marked 2.5 /5.0 that comes with the Motor kit ? The gear looks lie a 24 tooth, but is white and a bit thicker, and has a grey hub inside that turns. As far as I can tell, the point is if the gear jams/binds or the object trys (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Unique Gear Part - what is it 2.5 /5.0 in Motor Kit

  Re: Unique Gear Part - what is it 2.5 /5.0 in Motor Kit

(...) Nope, that's the purpose of the gear. I think the Technic Element Registry calls it a "clutch gear". I find it handy to have around. It slips pretty easily, so you need to gear down after it to get any reasonable amount of torque. Even so, I (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Unique Gear Part - what is it 2.5 /5.0 in Motor Kit

It's a clutch gear. You can use it instead of a pair of pulleys with a rubber band if you want to avoid stalling your motor if something jams. Compared to the pulleys, it gives you a very well defined stall torque - it's actually printed on the (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Unique Gear Part - what is it 2.5 /5.0 in Motor Kit

(...) It starts slipping somewhere between 2.5 newton-cm and 5.0 newton-cm. "newton-cm" is the SI unit of torque and corresponds to a force of 1 newton at a radius of 1 cm, or a force of 0.1 newton at a radius of 10 cm, etc. [1] The reason for the (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Unique Gear Part - what is it 2.5 /5.0 in Motor Kit

(...) Yes, exactly. In fact, I'm in the midst of building a robot vehicle which uses this for collision detection, instead of having some sort of feeler/bumper system. (25 years ago, 15-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)