 Robotics / 671
RE: gear differential
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 19:14:33 GMT

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Medical Informatics Consulting wrote:
check out http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/diff.html for a nice device
for controlling a tracked vehicle.  I've modified it slightly to flatten
it a layer and use a micromotor for the steering and a one of the motors
from the Mindstorms set (a mini motor) for the power.  Two mini motors
could be used, but it makes the steering more touchy.

this is a fantastic device.  i played with it today and build a new
robot platform using it.  i also flattened it by one layer, and i
also make it one element wider (to make its width an even number,
which makes it easier to work with).  the main problem with it is
that there are tons of gears involved, so there is a fair amount
of efficency loss compared to running the output of motors directly
to wheels.

in my design i swapped the inputs and outputs (the existing design
doesn't really carry what is an input and what is an output) and
puts one motor on each input.  running one of the motors forwards
or backwards runs the robot forwards or backwards.  running the
other motor forward or backwards turns the robot left or right
on axis.

i'll try and take some pictures this weekend and put them on
my website if others want to see the design.

alex