 Robotics / 656
RE: gear differential
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 22:20:04 GMT

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Tim McSweeney wrote:

Yeah I had thought of that but the problem is you need one motor to do the
driving and one motor to do the switching, The way the gearbox is presented
in the model only This only gets you two outputs,, so you haven't gained
anything, in fact you've lost compared to just using the motors because you
can't drive them both at the same time.  If you add a second motor to do
more complex switching (I really need a scan of the model to show you (help
anyone?)) you get FOUR outputs from three motors. But you can still only
drive one at a time. This is OK for some models, but not far anything like a
mobile Tank that needs both tracks running at the same time.

Of course the solution is to design a better gearbox than the one from Lego,
but that can get tricky :)

On a side note, a Differential can be used to produce two ONE-WAY outputs
from a single motor just put opposing ratchets on either side of the
differential.  Turn the motor one way and the left ratchet locks up turn it
the other and the right ratchet locks up.

Cheers
Tim

check out http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/diff.html for a nice device
for controlling a tracked vehicle.  I've modified it slightly to flatten
it a layer and use a micromotor for the steering and a one of the motors
from the Mindstorms set (a mini motor) for the power.  Two mini motors
could be used, but it makes the steering more touchy.

Look at the rest of Leo's stuff too.  Very interesting.

Matt S.
medinfo@aros.net