 Robotics / 655
Re: Position System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 20:53:45 GMT

Neil Harding wrote:

I was wondering whether anyone has come up with something so that you can
accurately position your robot in a room. I was thinking about a system
involving 3 speakers and a tone generator, and a mike. You create a
circuit that waits for a sound to trigger and then triggers each speaker
to generate a fixed frequency pulse of say .1 second duration in sequence,
by measuring the volume using one of the A/D convertors on the RCX, it
should be possible to triangulate your position. If anyone has any ideas,
I'd love to hear them.

One possibility is to use inertial navigation.  It's not cheap (relative to
the cost of the RCX), but you can get 3-axis accelerometers for less than
$200, e.g. http://www.xbow.com/html/accels/mser.htm

With respect to your idea of using tone generators to triangulate position: It
has been done before and it does work well, but I believe that existing
systems measure phase or delay of an ultrasonic signal, not amplitude.  You
might be able to use the components from one of the 3-D pointing devices that
have been on the market in the last few years.  See
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~cs672/Kolozs/acoustic/aco1.html

-Scott