 Robotics / 653
RE: gear differential
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:56:13 GMT

Yeah I had thought of that but the problem is you need one motor to do the
driving and one motor to do the switching, The way the gearbox is presented
in the model only This only gets you two outputs,, so you haven't gained
anything, in fact you've lost compared to just using the motors because you
can't drive them both at the same time.  If you add a second motor to do
more complex switching (I really need a scan of the model to show you (help
anyone?)) you get FOUR outputs from three motors. But you can still only
drive one at a time. This is OK for some models, but not far anything like a
mobile Tank that needs both tracks running at the same time.

Of course the solution is to design a better gearbox than the one from Lego,
but that can get tricky :)

On a side note, a Differential can be used to produce two ONE-WAY outputs
from a single motor just put opposing ratchets on either side of the
differential.  Turn the motor one way and the left ratchet locks up turn it
the other and the right ratchet locks up.

Cheers
Tim

I could be wrong, because I can't open my Mindstorms yet(b-day not til
12/11) but it seems logical that you could use the gear
differential, or a
jury rig of one, to drive however many distinct items as
there are gears by
redirecting the output.

Just a thought, but it could increase the number of effective
motors by a
multiplier of the number of gears.

trowt