 Robotics / 6665
    Power Supply
   Hi Can you power the RCX from a Wall Wart while the batteries are in it ? The reason for this question is I find I spend a lot of time programming / down loading and testing while sitting at the computer before letting loose my creation - all this (...) (25 years ago, 2-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Power Supply —Kevin Baker
     (...) down (...) Hi, Yes - should be OK - power connector disconnects the batteries when an external PSU plugged in (assuming the plug fits the RCX properly!). I guess there is a small risk of the firmware getting erased when plugging in/out the (...) (25 years ago, 2-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Power Supply —Michael Gasperi
     Kevin Baker <kevin.baker@racalitsec.com> wrote in message news:FHFJEF.7K2@lugnet.com... (...) I think the RCX uses the supply with the highest voltage. It doesn't actually disconnect the batteries. If it did, the RCX would go dead when you unplug (...) (25 years ago, 2-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Power Supply —John Cooper
      Not necessarily so, there is some residual capacity. I have replaced batteries in the past without loosing firmware or programs by flipping out the old, and inserting the new within a couple of seconds. (25 years ago, 2-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

          Re: Power Supply —Chris Osborn
      (...) That is only true when you disconnect the batteries though. If you've got no batteries and were running from the power supply and disconnect, everything is lost *immediately*. There's no time at all to insert some batteries or plug it back in. (...) (25 years ago, 4-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

          Re: Power Supply —Robert Ashford
       (...) It's probably a good idea to keep batteries in the RCX at all times. Robert Ashford www.apc.net/rashfor/...botics.htm (...) (25 years ago, 4-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

          Re: Power Supply —Kekoa Proudfoot
      (...) My experience has been slightly different. If the RCX is off, it retains battery life for several tens of seconds or sometimes for several minutes after power is lost or disconnected - regardless of how the power was shut off. If the RCX is (...) (25 years ago, 5-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Power Supply —Robert Ashford
     (...) If I remember correclty, the RCX will keep its programming for a few seconds after the batteries are removed, this allows you to change the batteries without having to reprogram. So it could disconect the batteries or at least isolate them (...) (25 years ago, 2-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Power Supply —Robert Ashford
   Yes, you can program and run the RCX from a Wall Wart with the batteries in it. It will keep the programs that were downloaded when the Wall Wart is unplugged from the RCX. I use this method all the time to save batteries while programming and (...) (25 years ago, 2-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)