 Robotics / 6674
Re: Power Supply
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 21:31:34 GMT

Kevin Baker <kevin.baker@racalitsec.com> wrote in message
news:FHFJEF.7K2@lugnet.com...
Yes - should be OK - power connector disconnects the batteries when an
external PSU plugged in (assuming the plug fits the RCX properly!).

I think the RCX uses the supply with the highest voltage.  It doesn't
actually disconnect the batteries.  If it did, the RCX would go dead when
you unplug the wall wart from the wall.

If I remember correclty, the RCX will keep its programming for a few seconds
after the batteries are removed, this allows you to change the batteries
without having to reprogram.  So it could disconect the batteries or at
least isolate them from the wall wart to keep them from being charged by the
wall wart, causing an explosion or battery damage.

Robert Ashford
http://www.apc.net/rashfor/robotics.htm