 Robotics / 6556
6555  |  6557
Subject:
Touch Sensor as a Switch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:55:20 GMT

I played around with sensors and wires, and came up with a way to use the
touch sensor as a switch. See my post at lugnet.cad.dat.ideas
<http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/ideas/?n=25>.

Unfortunately, even when the touch sensor is pressed, it still has a
significant amount of resistance, so if you connect this switch to a motor,
the motor will have less power.

However, this opens up a new way for sensor overloading. Traditionally, when
you connect several sensors to the same input port, the sensors are in
parallel with each other, now they can be in series.

1) If you connect two touch sensors in parallel, you can detect if either one
is pressed. If you connect the two in series, you can detect if both are
pressed.

2) If you connect a touch sensor and a light sensor in parallel, the light
sensor is activated when the touch sensor is released. If you connect the two
in series, the light sensor is activated when the touch sensor is pressed.

3) If you connect the Cyber Master touch sensors of different colors in
series, you get multiplexed touch sensors. (There is a resistor across the
switch in the Cyber Master touch sensor, so when the sensor is released the
circuit is not totally open. The Cyber Master touch sensors come in three
colors, each has a different values in its resistor.)

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang