 Robotics / 6399
6398  |  6400
Subject:
Droid Developer Kit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 18:56:08 GMT

Hi all,

  I just got my DDK, and, well, I'm not really impressed.  This kit is a lot
like paying $60 for the "Extreme Creatures" add-on.  The Micro Scout could
very easily be called the Null Scout.  One motor (micro motor) and one light
sensor (sensitive to IR BTW) and 7 built in "programs" that do darn little,
but with one motor and one sensor, what _can_ you do?  There are lots of white
pieces, which is cool, and lots of Throw-bot pieces too...  Some wheels, lots
of long white beams and a bunch of gears.  $100 is too much for this kit, IMO.

  Oh yeah, there is an 8th program called "P" on the display, the book says
its for future control by other Mindstorms products - Hmm, sounds like some
byte codes from the RCX might affect it.  I know that codes from the IR remote
control do NOT do anything to it in "P" mode.

Hmph.  I haven't built anything yet, maybe that will change my mind - but when
the R2-D2 doesn't even come with a full hemisphere, only half, I'm not likely
to be easily impressed!

  On a different topic, the IR remote control is way cool.  It must REALLY
pump out the power!  I pointed it at one of my RCX tracked creations and sent
out motor commands and they went, I was pointing at the BACK of the device,
the IR beam must have bounced off of another wall and STILL gotten there with
good power.  This is saying a lot as I had my IRPD running at the time and
that will swamp out the IR programming tower, but not the IR remote control!

have fun and more later,
DLC