 Robotics / 6400
Re: Ideas for a RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 19:09:27 GMT

Richard Earley wrote:

I agree with the high speed communication. A USB port would be ideal, esp. if
it could also connect multiple RCX in a chain to make a larger bot. Then you
could use the USB for comms between RCXs and the RCX ir for comm with other
bots/computer, proximity detection, etc...

An ideal solution would be an RCX that included the Harris PRISM
chip-set. These chips allow you to get various data speeds between 1Mbps
and 11Mbps depending on options chosen. Typical range is 100-300 ft
indoors and 1000-3000+ feet outdoors (all with omni-directional
antennas). These are the same chips being used in various IEEE 802.11
wireless lan products. Harris is openly quoting $55-60 for the four-chip
set in 10K quantity. These chips operate in the 2.4GHz ISM band as an
unlicensed device.

I doubt that most robotics folks would need 1Mbps, but its nice to have
the extra capability when needed.

Now, can someone please tell me where to find those old style lantern
batteries. They used to come in a 6V square and a 12V rectangular and
both had screws on toip to secure the wires. I can find the 6V springy
ones everywhere, but not the ones with the screw & nut.

Ray Sanders
rsanders@gate.net