 Robotics / 6389
Re: Ideas for a RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:16:44 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (John Barnes) writes:
More I/O ports would be handy. But a little ingenuity can expand on what is
already provided.

What cannot be expanded is the memory capacity of the RCX, or its processong
flexibility. The idea of simply using the RCX as an interface between the I/O
ports and a remote computer is not really an acceptable situation for anyone
interested in building autonomous devices.

So ..

it needs memory and enhanced processing options to provide the ability to
handle
2D arrays for mapping and maze processing.

it needs extended processing power to handle route planning and collision
avoidance.

it needs numerical processing extensions for 32 bit processing. (16 bit
intermediate
results overflow far too easily!)

and of course, a much higher speed link to the host PC for rapid download and
debugging of what would now be much larger fragments of code. RF would be my
choice, but IR is good. A temporary tether for program development using a
really
high speed serial link would be ideal.

comments?

JB

I agree with the high speed communication. A USB port would be ideal, esp. if
it could also connect multiple RCX in a chain to make a larger bot. Then you
could use the USB for comms between RCXs and the RCX ir for comm with other
bots/computer, proximity detection, etc...