 Robotics / 6403
Re: Droid Developer Kit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 20:39:07 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dennis Clark writes:
I just got my DDK, and, well, I'm not really impressed.  This kit is a lot
like paying $60 for the "Extreme Creatures" add-on.  The Micro Scout could
very easily be called the Null Scout.  One motor (micro motor) and one light
sensor (sensitive to IR BTW) and 7 built in "programs" that do darn little,
but with one motor and one sensor, what _can_ you do?  There are lots of white

I tried to play Eric Brok's trick
<http://homepages.svc.fcj.hvu.nl/brok//legomind/models/trains/barcode.html>
with the Micro Scout. I put the light source across the rail from the Micro
Scout, and run the Keep Alive program.

Yes, the motor turns on when the train is passing by. However, since there is
only one built-in motor, how do I use it to operate the level crossing gates
on both sides of the rail?

I hate the built-in motor.

Hmph.  I haven't built anything yet, maybe that will change my mind - but when
the R2-D2 doesn't even come with a full hemisphere, only half, I'm not likely
to be easily impressed!

In terms of looks, the R2-D2 is cute. In terms of mechanism, it is the most
boring model in the whole set. Aside from the moving-forward-turning-backward
mechanism that it shares with other models in this set, nothing else is
movable.

Now, if we install the RCX instead of the Micro Scout into the R2-D2, things
can be more interesting. We can install a light sensor on its head, and make
its head turning, etc.

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang