 Robotics / 6297
Re: Gears & Mico Motor (Plus Wired Remote Control!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:07:13 GMT

I bought two shuttles in response to a posting that I saw on the Massachusetts
local forum.  K B Toy was selling them for about $130 apiece when you could
still find them.  (There were still a few left in Kingston, MA when I left the
store, but that was weeks ago.)

This is a great set.  It's got over 1300 pieces, including the ones mentioned
previously.  My personal favorite item in this set are the two polarity
switches which can be used to switch both forward and reverse voltages,
depending on whether you push the lever forward or back.  (These are
reportedly available separately as well.)

I recently made a wired remote for testing my robotic platforms using three
polarity switches, a battery box, and a few long and short wiring leads.  The
battery box feeds into one side of each polarity switch, and the other end of
each switch is connected to one of the motors in the robot.  I laid the three
switches out so that I have a Left and Right tank-style steering control pair,
and the third lever raises or lowers my robot arm.  I can easily test physical
modifications to my platform without having to write/download any code.

I made it so that I can easily disconnect the motor leads from my RCX and plug
them directly into an RCX pin-compatible connector to switch over to manual
control.  I did this by mounting the three motor leads from the wired remote
on top of a 2x6 plate so that they are in the same position and orientation as
the motor outputs from the RCX.  Another 2x6 plate across the top of my RCX-to-
motor wires makes it easy to move the three connections as a unit from RCX to
remote and back again.

Overall, it would probably have been easier (and cheaper?) to just get the IR
remote, but I liked my approach because I had the parts on hand, and it
doesn't drain my RCX batteries when I'm playing with (er, I mean _testing_)
the robot.  Also I like having real levers instead of pushing those little
rubber buttons.

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Berger, Kurtis (I)) writes:
Clearly very well worth it.  Too bad it's the old-style motor, though.