 Robotics / 6226
Re: I/o's expansions for the mindstorm ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:24:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Jadin writes:
[...] Peter Middlestorb reports that a learning remote does
indeed work. He used a Casio Model 1174 CMD-40 watch. [...]

This might not be relevant for everyone out there, but I thought I'd point out:

If you use a learning remote to learn the codes from the MindStorms remote
control, please note that all combinations of the three motor controls send out
a different IR signal. You would therefore need extra buttons on your learning
remote for any combinations you want to use.

Since there are three motors, and each one can be forward, backward or off,
there are 3^3 - 1 = 26 combinations where at least one motor is on. Most people
don't use them all, but in my recent three-legged robot I actually made use of
all of them. I was really glad the IR remote allowed me to run more than one
motor at once.

- Robert Munafo
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13