 Robotics / 6172
6171  |  6173
Subject:
Gripper and lift arm with single motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 18:28:15 GMT

I hope someone can help me with this

I tried most of the weekend to try and build a mechanism to grab an item
(49.6x28 VR wheel) and lift it using one new type motor (the ones in the
RIS). All my attempts seem to either self destruct or just didn't work.

Basically my designs were based upon fixing an axle at the lift pivot point
and using a pair of bevel gears to produce rotation to drive a gripper.

What I would like to be able to do is drive the jaw once it is closed the
lift mechanism would engage. I just couldn't get it right and its getting
me a bit frustrated.

NO I can't just use another motor and some touch sensors, I need the motors
for drive adder/subtractor based tracked vehicle and the sensor inputs for
navigation and object detection

Anybody give me any pointers to designs on the web which actually work - I
know Ben Willamson had a design but that doesn't give enough movement of
the gripper jaws for my project

TIA

David Walton

Email: d.walton@ndirect.co.uk

Take a look at my homepage (still under construction though)
http://www.walton.ndirect.co.uk/

Now on ICQ: 44277445

"If it  ain't broke don't fix it !!"