 Robotics / 5943
Re: Distance Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 15:55:41 GMT

This is a good plan. Linc Smith suggested a similar system to me only it was
linear. I used the touch sensor to count the studs on a technic beam. I was
traveling a short distance with a slider. Your plan sounds worth trying. Of
course, a rotation counter would be easier and smaller, but not much fun.
Keep up the new ideas. We need them all.

Bob Fay
rfay@we.mediaone.net

The Shop
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/7900/

Greg Majewski <citrusx__@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Hello,
Very sorry if this topic has already been brought up; I don't read this • group,
and don't even have a Mindstorms kit.
I was thinking about how to make a distance sensor the other day, and I • came up
with a very simple idea, though I can not test it to see if it works:
Create a large wheel out of hinge plates and have a touch sensor placed on • one
of the sides of the "wheel," so that every time the wheel turns once, the • touch
sensor is set off once. You could find out how much distance one rotation • of
the wheel covers. So, you could measure things with the wheel, or program • it to
go a specific distance. Say the wheel moved one foot every rotation, and • you
wanted the vehicle the wheel was attatched to to move ten feet. The touch
sensor could then be programmed to stop the vehicle from moving after it • had
been triggered ten times. This could also work in another way: Have the • vehicle
travel along a straight line, like up against a wall or something. When • the
vehicle hit the end of the line, you could somehow see how many times the • touch
sensor had been activated, then figure out the distance, not that it would • be
terribly useful though :) I hope everyone got the point I'm trying to get
across, and again, I'm very sorry if this topic has already been • discussed.
Greg "I think the wallpaper's looking at me funny" Majewski
citrusx__@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/1888/