 Robotics / 5942
5941  |  5943
Subject:
Distance Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 15:24:46 GMT

Hello,
Very sorry if this topic has already been brought up; I don't read this group,
and don't even have a Mindstorms kit.
I was thinking about how to make a distance sensor the other day, and I came up
with a very simple idea, though I can not test it to see if it works:
Create a large wheel out of hinge plates and have a touch sensor placed on one
of the sides of the "wheel," so that every time the wheel turns once, the touch
sensor is set off once. You could find out how much distance one rotation of
the wheel covers. So, you could measure things with the wheel, or program it to
go a specific distance. Say the wheel moved one foot every rotation, and you
wanted the vehicle the wheel was attatched to to move ten feet. The touch
sensor could then be programmed to stop the vehicle from moving after it had
been triggered ten times. This could also work in another way: Have the vehicle
travel along a straight line, like up against a wall or something. When the
vehicle hit the end of the line, you could somehow see how many times the touch
sensor had been activated, then figure out the distance, not that it would be
terribly useful though :) I hope everyone got the point I'm trying to get
across, and again, I'm very sorry if this topic has already been discussed.
Greg "I think the wallpaper's looking at me funny" Majewski
citrusx__@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/1888/