 Robotics / 5639
Re: What is RPM of Gear Motor???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:29:38 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Dave Baum wrote:

650 ticks per second works out to about 1.5 ms per tick.  I didn't think
the RCX sampled inputs that fast - I thought it was 3.0 ms per sample.  If
so, this would mean that the RCX is capable of adding 2 to the rotation
value during a single sample.

Nope-it's not. I use LegOS, and that only adds 1- I know that particular
section of code inside and out. Therefore, it must be the sampling time.
Or a really egregious error on my part.

I'll have to look at the code again and see
what I missed.

The idea would be that you remember the direction of the last change (and
assume some arbitrary one first off)...

<snips much code>

If you're just slightly above 1 delta per sample period, then the
occasional delta of 2 will get accumulated just fine.  As you approach 2x
the sample frequency, things start to get risky.  An "instant" reverse
will continue to count in the old direction.

Yes, but at this speed, you mainly need to count speed anyway, not total
rotations, so that small instant reverse probably won't damage your code
too much. Since we run out of ticks very quickly (less than one minute)
we can probably assume that knowing the wrong direction/speed for 1.5ms
won't hurt. Of course, that is only for my application :)

Of course you could probably
work out the system mechanically such that change of direction and a delta
of 2 could never happen in the same sample period.

Uhuh. I has assumed that the easiest way would be to tell the code "you
are turning in direction X" and then reset it if there is an anticipated
change in direction.

Always in favor of new experiments-
Luis

     Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand.
                  -Anonymous