 Robotics / 5542
Re: What is RPM of Gear Motor???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:59:58 GMT

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, RoninSFX wrote:
Using a Futaba 9ZAP radio with a built in optical tachometer and the two bladed
LEGO prop I got 380 rpm for the gearhead motor and 4320 rpm for the older
nongeared motor. Of course this was done with a battery box and brand new
batteries so I am sure that these results will vary with each motor. I also did
all the possible gear ratios you can make with LEGO gears and found out that
none of the combinations will allow you to drop the old 9v nongeared motor down
to the same rpm as the gearhead motor.

You could get close using the differential as an adder.

The ratio of speeds above is about 11:1 (its 11.3:1, but lets keep
things as integers).  That is a prime number, and we know there
aren't any lego gear options that give you an 11:1, so that leaves
out a normal set of reductions pretty much right away.

However, you could do this by adding 5:1 gearbox to a 6:1 gearbox.
5:1 is pretty easy to make with the 40:8 gears.  6:1 can be made
by combining the 24:8 and the 16:8.

alex