 Robotics / 5486
Re: IR Transmitter - where's the "off" switch?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:33:17 GMT

Joel Shafer wrote...
Wouldn't it be easier to "fix" the tower than to work around it's
narcolepsy?

   Yes and no.  It would probably be easy for TLG to redesign the tower to
fix this problem.  (While they are at it, they should also supply power to
the tower from the supply voltage pin available on the RS-232 port instead
of requiring a 9V battery, but I digress...)

   But it would be a difficult task for somebody to reverse engineer their
tower, then design a hardware modification to keep the tower alive, then
post instructions on the web that explain how we can all modify our
microelectronic, surface-mount IR tower boards to get the same results.
Better for them to just start selling replacement towers at that point.

   I do not think there is a software solution that could keep the tower
alive without causing it to blast out at least some infrared noise.  I also
don't think there is a hardware solution (ie: trick cable or adapter or
something) that will do this without involving a physical, warranty-ending
modification to the IR tower itself.

   I would be delighted to be proven wrong on this score.