 Robotics / 5475
Re: My "new" rotation sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:03:02 GMT

Back in January, Simen Svale Skogsrud wrote:

I just made a useful discovery. I have been struggling for some hours
making a reasonably useful yet compact rotation sensor using only the light
sensor and the fiber-optic lights. I was unable to fit this into my
construction. Then I just tried to connect the fiber-optic lights unit to
the sensor-input and to my surprise this works fantastic! When connected to
the a sensor input configured for a light-sensor the unit produces a
reliable series of pulses that are easily counted. The raw value alters
between 1024 and about 500.

Newbie here. Is this "fiber-optic lights unit" the same as the rotation
sensor that's now on the Mindstorms page?

Has anyone tried turning the light sensor into a rotation sensor by
building a shaft encoder? Face the light sensor into a 'tunnel' and put
a (four bladed?) 'fan' in front of the other tunnel opening. You'd get a
pulse off the light sensor every quarter turn.

--

http://www.midnightbeach.com    - Me, my work, my writing, and
http://www.midnightbeach.com/hs - my homeschool resource pages