 Robotics / 5307
Re: Removing red led from light sensor..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:02:20 GMT

Jeff Blaine <jblaine@shell2.shore.net> wrote in message
Actually, I heard about this (the beam in front of the red LED) a few
months ago and my first reaction was, "Well, given that the problem
(as I understand it) is that the red LED bleeds light internally over
to the sensing LED side and that causes the loss in range, wouldn't
placing a beam right in front of the light just cause even MORE bleeding
(reflection) back into the whole unit?"

A simulation of the LEGO Light sensor circuit I did in PSpice showed that
the sensor wouldn't read down to zero just because the way the LED interacts
electrically.  There is some light bleeding effect, but it wouldn't go to
zero even if you covered the LED totaly with black material.  Bleeding is
probably less than half the problem of reading in the dark.