 Robotics / 5093
RE: Lego "pegging" disks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 04:54:53 GMT

Ah yes, I still have quite a few of these pieces, especially the wheels with
metal axles and the bricks that accept them. The belt Mario mentioned is
great and can be used to turn rotation into linear motion, but it works with
the old gears only and I haven't found a way to interface Technics blocks to
it.

When I got the gears there were no white axles. The two smaller sizes didn't
even have holes in the middle. You had to attach the gears to wheels using
the studs on the face of the wheel. The big blue one had a hole in the
middle so you couldn't use it with one of the spoked wheels which had only
one stud in the center.

I don't remember a grey gear set. The red universal joints can't transmit
rotation; they're more like a ball-and-socket trailer hitch. They could also
accept other accessories, such as a hook, minifig hands, or the "jaws" of a
scoop crane. I've got two of those and they are neat--they'd be perfect
dinosaur heads, except they have no connector except the ball (no studs) so
they can't be mounted such that they don't swivel freely.

I have a motor that I don't see in Mario's picture. It looks like the blue
one in the middle, except it's yellow and it has flat spots with holes for
the pins from a two-prong connector. The connectors on the motor don't look
like studs as Mario's do. It may have been a short-lived version, because
the plugs on the connecting wires failed very quickly and were irreparable.

--
Russell C. Brown
mailto:russb@io.com