 Robotics / 4911
    Re: interest in JVM porting effort —John A. Tamplin
   After thinking about it some more, I think it was silly to develop the OS and the JVM port simultaneously. The initial step should be to get it running under legOS, perhaps single-threaded without GC. After that is working, we can replace the OS (...) (25 years ago, 6-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: interest in JVM porting effort —Eric Lind
   This sounds reasonable. I imagine we'll be using the EmbeddedJava API for this, as this allows us to implement only the parts of Java we need or can support in the RCX. I'm a bit disappointed with the minimal info that java.sun.com provides on what (...) (25 years ago, 7-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: interest in JVM porting effort —John A. Tamplin
   (...) Actually, we can't do EmbeddedJava since that requires a full JVM including long and double, the Security manager, etc. We aren't going to be able to call it Java, since it won't pass the compatibility suite (we can say it implements a subset (...) (25 years ago, 7-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: interest in JVM porting effort —Eric Lind
   Aaah, good points. Do we have a preliminary list of packages that we'll need? Actually, it's easier to pick things that aren't needed and then complement it. java.awt is right out, as is java.applet. The same thing can be said for java.beans, (...) (25 years ago, 7-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: interest in JVM porting effort —John A. Tamplin
   (...) Actually, there are some things in java.math that should be there. I would expect we would have two sets of classes -- those which are built into the JVM port (ie, those required for operation like Object, Thread, etc) and those which can be (...) (25 years ago, 7-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: interest in JVM porting effort —Eric Lind
   I was merely ruminating on packages that might provide interesting interfaces/classes, and packages that we can toss out of hand. I wasn't trying to imply (although my post did seem that way) that we should implement ALL of java.io, just that parts (...) (25 years ago, 7-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: interest in JVM porting effort —John A. Tamplin
   (...) Ok, that sounds reasonable. John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way 256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801 -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 7-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)