 Robotics / 4744
Re: LEGO light sensor schematic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:54:56 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Hempel writes:
(I wrote)
  Hmmm.  Not to be overly critical, but that circuit wouldn't do a darn
thing.  We have an OpAmp connected to nothing that is set to oscillate for
[snip]

Hmmm, Michael is usually pretty careful about what he posts and he
has just a little experience with this kind of thing :-). In fact, Michael's
own powered sensors look a lot like this one.

  I've done a few myself, but I'll admit I'm not an analog guru.

From left to right:

The diode pairs that don't do anything are just a bridge rectifier in an
unusual schematic form.

  Except all of the anodes go to the wires out, in 2/3 of the pairs this
is correct, but one of those pairs needs to have the cathodes out or you
don't have a bridge.  This has got to be a "typo"

The no-connect op amp is connected that way to conserve power it is half
of a pair...

  Didn't know that dodge.

[snip]
the right hand op-amp
drives the transistor to simulate an impedance which draws current through
the diodes on the far left of the diagram.

  Yeah, I just figured that one out.  But, how does that odd photo detection
biasing work?  It looks perpetually reverse-biased to me.

[snip]
Dennis, this is NOT a flame, but please be careful and know what you are
criticizing before you do it...

  Well, it got a response! ;-)

DLC