 Robotics / 4733
    Re: Og Needs More Inputs (fwd) —Michael Gasperi
   (...) It is an optical (I think) incremental encoder where the 2 quadrature bits are converted to analog values. There is a pretty good description of the LEGO rotation sensor on my web page and also plans for a homebrew version that works about the (...) (25 years ago, 30-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: LEGO light sensor schematic —Dennis Clark
   (...) thing. We have an OpAmp connected to nothing that is set to oscillate for no reason, diode pairs that won't supply power to the circuit, an optical sensor that is biased backwards and lots of transistors set to act as diodes. I think he needs (...) (25 years ago, 30-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: LEGO light sensor schematic —Ralph Hempel
   (...) Hmmm, Michael is usually pretty careful about what he posts and he has just a little experience with this kind of thing :-). In fact, Michael's own powered sensors look a lot like this one. From left to right: The diode pairs that don't do (...) (25 years ago, 30-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: LEGO light sensor schematic —Dennis Clark
   In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Hempel writes: (I wrote) (...) [snip] (...) I've done a few myself, but I'll admit I'm not an analog guru. (...) Except all of the anodes go to the wires out, in 2/3 of the pairs this is correct, but one of those pairs (...) (25 years ago, 30-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: LEGO light sensor schematic —Michael Gasperi
    (...) Thanks for your confidence in me, but I didn't say I thought it was the circuit. In fact I can't figure out how it could work this way either. I think probably most of the parts are identified correctly and probably most of the connections. I (...) (25 years ago, 30-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: LEGO light sensor schematic —Ralph Hempel
   (...) OK. I'll take a closer look - my previous description was a broadbrush attempt. Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng ---...--- A picture is worth a thousand words, but very few sets of a thousand words can be adequately described by a picture... (...) (25 years ago, 30-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: LEGO light sensor schematic —Michael Gasperi
   (...) wrong with it for me so I wouldn't have to. Well I couldn't wait. I broke down and broke into my Light sensor. All I can say is don't do it! The guy that figured out how to package this thing must wear a straight jacket. You will break things (...) (25 years ago, 1-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: LEGO light sensor schematic —Ralph Hempel
   (...) HaHa, I was so busy getting the next release of pbFORTH out that Michael beat me to it. Anyways, good work! I have a little fix to extend the range of the light sensor in % mode that involves blocking the light that comes from the emitter. (...) (25 years ago, 2-May-99, to lugnet.robotics)