 Robotics / 4656
4655  |  4657
Subject:
An Expanded Radarbot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:45:36 GMT

Until I assemble the IRPD Kit
(see: http://www.verinet.com/%7Edlc/projects/botproj.htm#lirpd).

I wanted to attempt a IR Radar system using standard Lego parts that would
let the RCX know if there was an obstruction to the left, right or straight
ahead. I had to use three light sensors to get all the functionality I
wanted but it seems to work. Pictures, a movie and the NQC code is at
http://www.marsrobot.com.

I also scavenged a motion sensor from a hacky sack (?) ball that lights up
when you kick it. I took the sensor apart and expanded the size of the
spring that provided motion detection to make it more sensitive and mounted
it on this robot...but it is not connected to the RCX sensor inputs yet. It
will illuminate when the robot hits an obstacle that it did not detect using
IR radar, but does not need too strong of a "bump" to activate. That means
that I don't have to run the robot into an object at too high of a speed to
get it to activate. You know what happens when you do that...

Rich
http://www.marsrobot.com