 Robotics / 4681
Re: SoCal LegoLand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:36:29 GMT

Just got back from Lego Land.  It is totally cool.  Be aware that it really
is focused on kids 3 to 12 years old.  My 3 year old and my 5 year old had a
blast.  It's much less crowded than Disney and the other parks.  On top of
that it is newer and cleaner too.

Don't go with any intentions of getting any exclusive lego sets or any
special deals.  They charge full list for all of their sets and its nothing
that you can't get at your local Target or Toy's R Us.  The foam swords and
shields they sell are much more fun for the kids (and Dad's too.)

Mini land, which is their recreation of major US land marks and cities in
Lego, is very inspirational.  It made me want to rush back home and do some
RCX work.  I have to admit that I was a bit let down when they said how they
made their models.  My expection was that an artist sat down with several
million Legos and had at it.  Instead it is a very involved job.  They first
make detailed drawing of what they will build.  Then they build foam core
models of the models they will build.  Then finally they make the Lego
models.  Legos are just like any other media.

Anyway, it is definitely worth a trip out of your way to see.  Although the
road to Legoland goes through an office park,  I'd like to see what the
traffic jams will be like during the summer peak season.

Doug