 Robotics / 4578
Re: Novice group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:13:43 GMT

In article <3715EBF6.331800CB@appstate.edu>, Thomas Main
<main@appstate.edu> writes
There seems to be a lot of discussion about creating new groups lately.
I would like to see a new robotics group.  Don't get me wrong, there's
nothing wrong with lugnet.robotics, but the level of most of the
discussion in there is way over my head.  I would like to see the
creation of a robotics group that was geared toward novices.

I have lots of questions about Mindstorms that I feel hesitent posting
to lugnet.robotics because my question seems "out of place" in such a
tech-saavy group.  Also, the thread that my question generates goes over
my head all too soon :)  I think it would be nice to have a "robotics
junior" group where kids, adults without a lot of tech experience, and
casual Mindstorms/robotics users would feel at home.  It would be great
if the experts from lugnet.robotics could scan the group and offer
simple, direct and to-the-point answers to the questions posed there.
I've found this sort of experience in computer/tech-related chat rooms
on irc and I think it would work well in LUGNET.

What do others think? ...and BTW, why isn't my Acrobot flipping over :)

I'll leave your Acrobot to others, but I think that there is not enough
traffic on lego.robotics to warrant splitting it.

As long as you have read the faq, never feel afraid to ask simple
questions.  And if the answer thread gets too complicated, ask people to
simplify their answers.

When doing this, it is a good idea to say something like "Being a newby,
I didn't understand your post.  What is the best way to increase my
knowledge to a level where it makes sense, please?  Or can someone
explain it to me in a simpler way?"

There is nothing wrong with being at the start of the learning curve (we
were all there once), and anyone who objects to simple questions
deserves to be ignored.  There are a lot of us on this group who have
sufficient knowledge and time to answer simple questions, it's just that
we have been here long enough to pick up the jargon which can be
incomprehensible to some without us realising.
--
Regards - Peter Hesketh, Mynyddbach, Mon.
Forty reasons why a dog is better than a woman: number 39