 Robotics / 4574
4573  |  4575
Subject:
New RIK-user hints, bumpers, many topics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:55:37 GMT

INTRO / NEW-RIK-USER IDEAS

Hi,

After getting my kit finally last week, I poked around for awhile on the net
and realized that many many people use and love David Baum's NQC.  So,
I installed RXC Command Center (which has NQC as part of it), and ditched
the stock cumbersome graphical programming interface.  Yay, that was a big
win for *ME*.  Your mileage as a new user may vary.  No disrespect is meant
to the other 3rd party programming environments such as Mind Control,
BotCode, and others.

Then I spent several hours just wandering around popular Mindstorm web
sites, checking things out and feeling intimidated but inspired.

Then I spent several MORE hours browsing through the Subject lines of
all of the posts made to this newsgroup/list since its inception
(4500 articles or so).  This proved to be pretty interesting and worth
the time I spent.  Many basic topics are covered, as well as more advanced
things.

And finally, I've noticed that my mechanical engineering / construction
skills....stink.  I am thinking that it would be very worthwhile for me to
that and wanting to jump right in.

So, if you're new and you've not done those things, maybe they're worth
investigating when you've got some quiet time.

=======

BUMPERS BUMPERS BUMPERS!

As I was reading the newsgroup/list archive, I saw someone suggest a
bumper contest was in order since so many people seem to have trouble
with bumpers and such.  Did anything ever come of this?  My main problem
for the last few days has been proper bumpers, so I'm in the same boat
as all of those people who spoke about it then.  I've been examining
some of the more robust published bumpers but they're often difficult to
reverse engineer from pictures.  (Simen's IR rover thingy and some other
father/son combo who are heavy into the adder/subtracter dealies...sorry,
I forget the name... Dan something?)

=======

CURRENT PROJECT

Using IR proximity detection (see previous threads in this newsgroup) and
the 2 touch sensors:

    Make a wheeled robot which can fully handle moving in my apartment
    with EXTREMELY few (ideally zero) hangups.

    Went last night from '2 wheels in back, single pivot wheel in front'
    model to Torbot dual tread.  I like the treads better, as the bot
    seems to scare the cat less due to slowness, it can get over obstacles
    MUCH better, and I have no real need for speed or turning accuracy.

    Using the 'DEFCON' IRPD code from John and James Cooper, I do a
    minor right turn at DEFCON 2, and a full stop and right turn for
    DEFCON 3.  I also keep a running tally of how many times I was at
    DEFCON 3 or higher in a row without moving forward successfully
    for a full second.  When this count is 4, I hit full reverse for
    a full second.

    Direly need to setup my bumper(s).  IRPD is not cutting it, even
    for full frontal avoidance due to certain horizontal obstructions
    in my apartment just above the light sensor's range.  Bumper will
    need a vertical structure that is at least an inch higher than the
    highest non-bumper vehicle part to catch these things.

    Comments, ideas, thoughts appreciated.