 Robotics / 4571
Re: Temperature sensor limits?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:07:59 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Thomas Accardo writes:
How about plain LEGO pieces does anybody know how hot you can get them before
they melt?

(Bitter) Experience tells me that at about 80 degrees Celsius*) the Lego
plastic starts to get noticeably softer. At 90 to 100 degrees Celsius it will
start to deform slowly without pressure. At this temperature most Lego will
sustain permanent damage although it may not be noticeable at first. Thus, I
found that even very small variations in size and structure from stress during
the cooling process will make Lego defunct.

The maximum sustainable temperature seems somewhat to depend on the color of
the Lego used.

The degrees given here refer to the actual temperature of the Lego pieces. Some
Lego may be able to sustain much higher temperatures for a short while.
However, I will not be the one making that experiment (mistake).

Play well!

Franz-Michael S. Mellbin

*) Dr. Franzenstein used a high quality home oven for his half-baked
experiments...

--
E-mail: fischer-mellbin@fischer-mellbin.com
http://www.fischer-mellbin.com/